Would you rather that your pet didn’t grow up and stay like a cute kitten forever? Then you will be happy to know that there are some breeds of cats that don’t grow or cats that stay small. Unlike common breeds, these cats retain their diminutive looks and adorable demeanor as adults.
What are the cats that don’t grow?
Cats that do not grow, also known as “the smallest cats in the world“, are divided into 3 different types: miniatures, dwarfs, and teacups. Although there are differences between them, the truth is that they all grow little and retain the appearance of a small cat.
In fact, these cats can weigh as little as 5 pounds, significantly less than the average adult cat (10-12 pounds).
- Miniature Cats. They are the result of breeding lines where size and appearance have been, or are being, manipulated through the selective breeding process.
- Dwarf Cats. They are domestic breeds that, due to a genetic mutation, have the condition of dwarfism.
- Cats Teacup or Mini. Some are the result of a spontaneous mutation, while others are obtained through the selection and constant reproduction of the smallest individuals of each generation (progressive reduction of the race).
With that said, here are 9 pet cat breeds that will always be small:
- Cornish Rex
- Devon rex
- American curl
- Russian blue
- Japanese bobtail
Let’s see in detail what characterizes them and how much each of them can grow …
Unofficially known as the smallest cat in the world, the Singaporean can weigh between 4 and 8 pounds. Depending on the specimen, they can weigh half of what the average cat weighs. They usually take 15-24 months to reach adult size.
- The Singaporean is a playful, outgoing, and highly intelligent cat, whose name is linked to its place of origin, is Singapore.
- Despite their small stature, they are incredibly agile climbing cats.
- Female Singapura is usually smaller and more delicate than males, always weighing around 5 pounds. Most of them are between 23 and 30 cm long and reach a height of 15 to 20 cm.
- His eyes and large ears are two of the attributes that stand out the most in his body.
- The hair of each individual exhibits two shades: ivory at the base and brown at the tip.
- This gives them an appearance similar to that of their feline relative, the puma.
- Their life expectancy ranges from 9 to 15 years.
2. Cornish Rex
The Cornish Rex, a breed native to Cornwall, England, is another cat that stays small into adulthood. It usually weighs between 6 and 7 pounds, but some specimens have been known to weigh up to 10 pounds. This is an unusual-looking slender kitten with large ( bat ) ears and well-defined cheekbones.
- Although they are incredibly slim, the breed standard calls for Cornish Rex cats to have a muscular body.
- They can be up to 45 cm long.
- One of its most striking features is its unusually wavy and smooth coat. Since it does not shed much, it is considered a hypoallergenic breed of cat.
- On average, females weigh 5-6 pounds, and males 6-7 pounds.
- Their life expectancy is 10 to 16 years.
Fun fact. Cornish rex cats are very skilled at catching forbidden things thanks to their long, thin legs. If you have this kitten at home, be sure to keep closets, kitchen cabinets, and drawers tightly closed.
3. Devon rex
Another cat that does not grow and retain the kitten’s look as an adult is the adorable Devon Rex, originally from Devon, England. Often mistaken for its close cousin the Cornish Rex, this breed is very similar in genetic makeup. As an adult, Devon Rex typically weighs between 6 and 9 pounds.
- Its tiny body exhibits soft fur, large ears, and remarkably round eyes.
- They can also reach 45 cm long.
- They are extremely friendly and thrive well on human contact. They don’t usually cause problems when left alone.
- They can live between 9 and 15 years.
Fun fact. How to distinguish a cornish rex from a devon rex? The latter has a less wavy coat and its whiskers are shorter.
Developed in the United States, the Skookum is a hybrid dwarf cat breed that was obtained from the cross between the Munchkin (another cat that doesn’t grow) and the LaPerm, a cat known for its attractive curly coat and intelligence. The result was an adorable little kitten with a very tiny body, short legs, and curly hair.
- The bones of the skookum are significantly shorter than the bones of a normal-sized cat.
- The females generally weigh between 3 and 5 pounds, while the males may weigh between 5 and 7 pounds.
- Despite being so small, the skookum sports a robust physical makeup, never elongated.
- Its legs are compact and rounded.
- Their life expectancy is 10 to 15 years.
5. American curl
If you’ve been thinking of cats that stay small and also have a distinctive appearance, then the American curl may be what you are looking for.
Specimens of this teacup breed can vary in size but generally remain very small into adulthood. Its most striking feature is the curved shape of the ears, which point towards the back of the skull as if someone had curled them ( curl means curl in English ).
- The weight of the adult females is between 5 and 8 pounds, and the males are between 7 and 10 pounds.
- The rectangular body, silky coat, and expressive walnut-shaped eyes are other distinctive features of the breed.
- They can be between 45 and 50 cm long.
- The American curl can have a long-haired or a short-haired pattern. Since his undercoat is minimal, this kitten sheds very little.
- They are known for their disposition and extremely loving attitude.
- They typically live 9 to 16 years.
Fun fact. When they are just born, American curls have straight ears like other cats, but this trait begins to change within the first 10 days.
6. Russian blue
The Russian Blue is one of the smallest cats and most popular breeds in the world. Although their size may be slightly larger than other breeds on this list, their fine bones and narrow build may also catch your eye. Russian blue cats can weigh between 7 and 12 pounds when they are adults.
- It is a beautiful cat, with blue-gray fur and very striking green eyes.
- Their height ranges from 20 to 25 cm, and their body length ranges from 38 to 46 cm.
- They are known for showing a regal attitude, but at the same time shy.
- It can live between 15 and 20 years.